General History

1910 -
   150   (Kansas-A Cyclopedia of State History)
1915 - 1,649   (Kansas Historical Quarterly)
1919 - 1,468   (22nd Biennial report of the Kansas State Board of Agriculture)
1920  -1,699  (22nd Biennial report of theKansas State Board of Agriculture)
1928 - 1,450  (Listed in 1928 Businesses, Manufacturers, Merchants and Tradesman for Crawford County, Kansas; R. G. Dun Mercantile Agency Reference Book published January,1928)
1930s -2,004   (The WPA Guide to 1930s Kansas published 1984)
1941 -    650   (33rd Biennial report of the Kansa State Board of Agriculture)
1942 -    534  (33rd Biennial report of the Kansa State Board of Agriculture)

1906    Plat Book of Crawford Co.  - not shown

1908  SNPJ Lodge was established October 15, 1908 in Franklin, Kansas

1908 Baughman's Kansas Post Offices shows est. October 27, 1908.   Richard H. Simmons ws 1st appointee.

1909  John Dollar's First Addition to Franklin was platted  February 18, 1909.

1910 Kansas-A Cyclopedia of State History, etc. Copyright 1912   Franklin, a village of Crawford county, is a station on the Joplin & Pittsburg electric railroad, about 8 miles east of Girard, the county seat.  It has a money order post office and is a trading center for that section of the county.  The population in 1910 was 150.  

1917 Rand McNally guide shows Franklin on Joplin Pittsburg Elec. Ry., money  order P.O., 1915 pop. 1649

1923  Franklin, Kansas, is strictly a mining community, located about 7 miles north of Pittsburg, population 1500.  Two churches, two schools, one theatre, electric lights, artesian water and paved streets.    The miners generally living in company houses.  (Courtesy of Special Collections Library at Pittsburg State University.  From Ira Clemens Photograph Album.)

1931 Crawford County Highway map shows Franklin

1963   Located on State Highway Comm. map of Crawford Co.  as being about 8 mi. N. of Pittsburg, or about 1 mi. S. of Arma.  

History Main Page