- Guinness World
Record Holder& Road Projects
National and Kansas Historic Site
March 16, 2007 Franklin Sidewalk is listed on National
Register of Historic Places. November 18,2006: The
Franklin Sidewalk is now listed in the Register of Historic Kansas
Places, the state register. The
Kansas Historic Sites Board of Review has approved the nomination of
the Franklin Sidewalk to the National Register of Historic
Places. The nomination will be forwarded to the office of the
Keeper of the National Register in Washington, D.C. where it will be
evaluated by their professional staff. If they concur with the
findings of the Kansas Historic Sites Board of Review, the property
will be granted inclusion in the National Register of Historic
Places. This property is now protected under the Kansas HIstoric
Preservation Act (K.S.A. 75-1715 through 75-2725)
Phyllis Bitner, Chairman
Arriving for Board of Review Meeting
Sarah J. Martin
National Register Coordinator
Cultural Resources Division
Kansas State Historical Society
Presenting Application to Board of Review
Several Members of the Board of Review
listening to presentation
Sidewalk as it exists in 2006
Longest sidewalk connecting two towns
Possible explanations about the sidewalk:
There was a WPA project to build the sidewalk.
The sidewalk was not a WPA project.
A vote was taken if the residents of Franklin wanted a
sidewalk or a sewer. They chose a sidewalk.
Also have been told the sidewalk was built when the high
school in Franklin was closed. There was concern about the kids
from Franklin walking to Arma high school so the sidewalk was built for
The sidewalk runs 1.7 miles.
Many stories but not enough facts
yet. It appeared in the
Guinness Book of World Records perhaps in the 50s or 60s as the longest
sidewalk between two towns. Another possibility is that it appeared in
Ripley's Believe it or Not. It's also been said that it appeared
Life Magazine in approximately 1938. Does anyone remember
Please e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Following are facts that are
available thus far on the sidewalk:
The funding was awarded for the project in August, 1936.
was completed in June, 1937.
The plans called for ditching,
removal, a 3 foot wide concrete sidewalk in some places 4" thick and in
some places 5" thick.
This was a federally assisted project that
ran from the south edge of Franklin to the south Arma city limits.
Project #69-8FA-40-A. (More to come)
picture for a larger photo. Use your "back" button to return to this
August 18, 1936 Article in Pittsburg Headlight-Sun
August 21, 1936 Article in Pittsburg Headlight-Sun
Sidewalk in 2005
Many areas of the original
sidewalk still in very good condition
A few bumps in the road
Some sections are covered by
years of grass and dirt but the sidewalk lays beneath 3 feet wide
Work Day June 4, 2005 Helping hands uncovered the
original 3' sidewalk in front of the Franklin Community Park
This marker is located at the south end of Arma. It is one
concrete pillar with a different plaque on each side. These
markers designate two highway projects.
The photo on the right isn't too easily read but it says Project No.
120 and is dated 1923.
Project #40, 1922, was for paving a 16' wide concrete highway from the
south end of Franklin to the south city limits of Arma.
Project #120, 1923, was for paving a 16' wide concrete highway from the
south send of Arma to the north end of Arma.
An item mentioned in the plans was that the county must pay for the
marker out of their own funds as it was not an eligible part of the